New York Disappointments

Fall 2010 has been a lacklustre season for New York. There were a lot of collections that I was going to write individual reviews for but I just didn’t feel inspired to do so. I was left feeling empty and scratching my head by designers that have so much talent but failed to deliver.

Chris Benz was clearly inspired but he didn’t pass that on to the customer. There was a cute gradated sequin top but then he’d do a plain drawstring pant or an artlessly draped dress. The plaid jackets were hideous as were the printed wrap dresses. The fur gloves were just a sad rip off of Marni and Donna Karan from last fall.

Above and below:

Benz does an odd tulip wrap dress with a retina melting print and this plaid coat is just too many shades of wrong. I don't know you guys.


Juan Carlos Obando caught my eye a couple of seasons ago but this time it was dull, pared back basics. The bandaged tops and dresses were a standout but the pants with tank tops were not.

Above: Juan Carlos gorgeousness

Below: Juan Carlos. Juan, babe, what's happening here?

United Bamboo did a safe somewhat unimaginative show compared to seasons past. The opera-length leather gloves were a Lanvin hangover and I’m thinking just get your own ideas people. My theory is if you’ve seen it done by someone else and you’ve seen it done better then why bother? It’s just cherry picking from the best collections.

I know that a lot of the pieces in the show would look great in-store and the coats especially would last a life time but perhaps a runway show isn’t what’s needed in an already overstuffed NY fashion week calendar.


Below: United Bamboo. I see YSL Fall 07


Below: Way too Lanvin


Below: The cut of the jacket is cool. I like how it's slung over the hips


0 comments:

Post a Comment